Thursday, January 22, 2015

KAZ~Sunrise/Sunset challenge

So the second challenge has been very difficult for me. My mind could not let go of the arch of the horizon. I automatically thought 'curve' when I read about the second challenge in #pq6. So I spent over a day just searching google images, hoping for this weeks muse when I found an epic image! 

The second I layed eyes on this a new phrase replaced 'curve' and that was, "In the begining!!" Can you even imagine how our creator pulled the cosmos into motion and set off the chain reaction that we now know as one day? The sun set and rose. One day. This embodied all that I love about science, astrology and nature!!! Glorious!

My next task really threw me around. How could I convert this into a 2 dimensional piece of art? I really did try. Alas, for me, I could not quilt this. So instead I settled to interpret the curveof the  Earth in the curve of my cranium!! 

My resolution was to make a headband using what I call my starry night material I have been using as a back ground on a hexie quilt. I appliquéd one golden hexie onto it for the sun and embroidered the rays along with one word, 'Dawn'.

 
Me modeling the headband. Sadly the writing didn't photograph well. 


You can barely make out the DAW in dawn on the left portion of the headband. 

I have decided to entitle this project 'Dawn of Creation'. I hope it conveys the majesty I have in my heart. 

ThanX~ Kaz

6 comments:

  1. This is absolutely wonderful! i love how you followed your piece instead of vice versa ... fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fabulous. I am a science junkie as well and I think you captured it beautifully. I loved reading your thoughts about the creative process as well. being a grammar geek, however, may I point out that you spelled interpret wrong. Probably just a typo, but I thought you might wish to fix that. Kudos on a job well done for the #pq6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out!!! Better you than my mom :) LOL. I should proofread closer before posting. I have a few spacing errors as well!
      ThanX~Kaz

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this! Sometimes the piece tells you what it needs to be and you were smart to listen. www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete